Saturday, September 4, 2010

Teddy Ruxpin


I don't know who named this toy, but they were probably British. Who names a children's toy "Ruxpin?" We didn't own a Teddy Ruxpin, but our neighbor did. It was a hot toy in the mid 80's, and his mom worked at JC Penney. She actually brought him home the display Teddy Ruxpin, which had all this additional plastic hardware attached to his back so he could be affixed to the display. It was kinda like a bionic Teddy Ruxpin.

Much like Patton Oswalt's Alvin and the Chipmunks bit , Teddy Ruxpin would turn into a demonic beast from the 9th circle of hell when his batteries would get low. We enjoyed this much more than the usual lovey dovey drivel that he would otherwise spew out.

At some point, we decided that Teddy had to go and we pretty much dissected him. This resulted in his eyes becoming a new toy. I distinctly remember taking the eyes and keeping them in my room for some disturbing reason.

I guess Teddy Ruxpin was the friend for the kid who had no friends. But he wasn't very cuddly, as his insides housed a cassette player and speaker.

1 comment:

  1. My parents pledged never to buy one of these. I guess they assumed with the money they were paying for education, I could read my own damn book. I remember running straight towards the display at trips to the Toys R Us on State Road 7 by Circus Playhouse. It stopped working after the first few weeks being "pawed" at by violent Hollywood pranksters. Funny my parents wouldn't doing for the Ruxpin but did lay down the cash for the far less educational "Mr Game Show". Remember that animatronic gem?

    ReplyDelete