Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Micro Machines: It's the real thing


Despite their size, Micro Machines were HUGE in the late 80's. I used to have a billion of them, and of course the Lamborghini was THE coolest one you could own. I think the one pictured above (which is actually mine that I still have) is the pinnacle of 80's coolness with its fluorescent yellow paint job and hot pink windshield. The cars ranged in complexity from the simple ones like the Lamborghini pictured above to ones with interchangeable wheels; opening doors, trunks, and hoods; and working head and tail lights. There were also a slew of accessories and larger toys that came later on. I also had the aircraft carrier, which stored a few dozen cars in the bottom level (like all real-life aircraft carriers), had elevators to bring the fighter jets to the launching deck, and storage for smaller boats.
There was also a series of city style toys where you could drive your micro machines around. I used to have both of these and loved them so much. You could connect as many of these together as you wanted to build a huge megalopolis or you could be content to play with one at a time.



Looking at these pictures now makes me want them all back with a wide open living room floor and about 4 hours of a Saturday afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    My name is David,
    I have seen your report and I would like to know if you still have the fluorescent yellow Lamborghini with the Rosas windows,
    I would like to buy it, tell me a price and maybe we will reach an agreement.

    Best regards,

    David.

    ReplyDelete