Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stinkor. The toy that stunk.



In 1985, some chemical company botched a batch of their new food additive and it STUNK. "How the hell are we going to get rid of this crap?" said their pissed off CEO. "It smells terrible." Some soon to be promoted underling chimed in, "But sir, it IS non-toxic."

Presumably, this is how Stinkor (an anthropomorphic skunk with magical control over his own stench, from Wikipedia) came into being. A little research revealed that it was actually the scent of patchouli oil that provided our little skunk friend with enough kick to taint your whole toybox.

Whose idea was this character? It lines up with the gross out factor of many 80's toys, but still was a terrible idea. I'm sure that mothers around the nation cursed this freaky looking little mutant as he befouled their homes with his nefarious odor.

I distinctly remember getting Stinkor as a gift and grossing out all the kids at the party with dares of a whiff. I'm convinced that his smell is still tattooed on my brain.

2 comments:

  1. I dated a girl who smelled like Stinkor. I hate Patchouli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my Stinkor second hand and the smell had worn off.

    ReplyDelete